Surgery is a medical procedure or treatment given through an opening in the specific parts of the body. Generally, this meant by making a large cut in the skin or body to perform a certain procedure to perform the treatment. In today’s new advances in technology, healthcare facilities such as hospitals allow medical staff like surgeons for making a less than 1cm cut and using tiny devices and cameras.
When a patient learns that he or she might need surgery can be an overwhelming and intimidating prospect. As you may know, surgery is a very delicate procedure that if there’s an error during the procedure, life-changing consequences might be the result, and worst, death.
That’s why it’s important to choose a great surgeon like dr ganesh ramalingam whom you can trust your life with. And before the surgery, a patient should also know a little background about the procedure she or he might experience. Also, it can be helpful to learn about some basic surgical terminology.
Basic and Common Surgical Terms
Before deciding whether you’ll proceed or not with the surgery, it’s advisable that you must be familiar with some basic terms so you can have a better understanding of your procedure. Below are the following surgical terms:
- In-Patient Surgery: The procedure will be performed in the hospital and the patient needs to stay in the hospital for at least one day or a couple of days.
- Out-Patient Surgery: The procedure also performed inside the hospital or surgery center and the patient may be able to go home after waking from anesthesia.
- Laparoscopic Surgery: Advanced surgical procedure in which a small cut is made in the body instead of the traditional surgical approach.
- Open Surgery: A traditional approach of surgery which requires a full-length incision to perform the needed procedure.
- Elective Surgery: This kind of surgery is done by choice such as cosmetic surgery that enhances someone’s physical appearance.
- Robotic Surgery: It is commonly used by the surgeon if the required procedure needs tiny movements. Since the robot’s hand is stable and steadier than the human hand, the surgeon uses a robot to be precise and steady.